Wednesday, July 29, 2009

One Year Plus: the more things change, the more they stay the same

SO here I am, this evening of July 29th, 2009. I arrived at Norfolk one year and twenty-seven days ago, determined to serve my country to the best of my ability, or to the extent of which I could through my current command. Unfortunately, the fulfillment of my desire to serve my country has been left sorely wanting: I fel that I have not contributed to defending my nation, or the free world in the "Global War on Terror" (if a more ambiguous name can be given to the thwarting of terrorists and rogue factions within foreign lands is out there, I'm all ears) very much, or at all. I feel that the activities I have been involved in have only served to be band-aids in the eyes of naval and military bureaucratic leadership at best, and at worst, will serve to validate the more totalitarian, omnipresent approach of constant surviellance of government facilities.

Finally, finally, finally I have submitted my Navy OCS application after eight long, tiresome, arduous, patience-breakign months, only to now be sitting here thinking that I have made a mistake in taking the steps to further my stock within the Navy. Personally, I think I am a man of far more physicality and action than what much of this naval service presents. Outside of the SEAL and EOD Teams, I think that young men seeking action and looking for patriotic glory amidst the officer ranks will find it elsewhere outside the Navy.

That being said, I put in for the Navy Supply Corps. That's right, the supply corps. "Supply Corps", you ask? Yeah, the supply corps, I begrudgingly reply. But, in it's own defence, it has history, it has prestige, particularly the Navy supply side of things. Moving supplies and logisitics is fundamental to ALL warfare, because without supplies, their can be no war, no defence. It is indeed the currency of warfare. Throughout history, campaigns have been won and lost on account of the reliability of supplies. If I were to go through with this and become a Navy Supply Corps officer, the "best" of the supply corps within the US Armed Forces, and by far it's most diverse and most widely deployed, I could come out with some kind impressive resume. The page her on wikipedia is impressive enough: **

Even though, what wouldn't be impressive with Army OCS, Ranger school, and leading men in the ultimate acid test of human ability and survival?


Right. Need to re-edit this one at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment